Four more South Dakota properties were recently added to the National Register of Historic Places, according to the South Dakota State Historical Society.
The properties listed in March and April are the Bryant Masonic Lodge 118 in Bryant, James and Wilhelmina Anderson House in Lily, the Pickstown Fire and Police Station in Pickstown, and the Chil and Julia Chilson House in Webster.
The National Register is the official federal list of properties identified as important in American history, architecture, archaeology, engineering, and culture. The State Historic Preservation Office of the State Historical Society works in conjunction with the National Park Service, which oversees the National Register program, to list the properties.
"South Dakota's history is rich in American Indian culture, pioneer life, and change," said Jay D. Vogt, state historic preservation officer and director of the State Historical Society at the Cultural Heritage Center in Pierre. "The more than 1,300 state individual properties and districts listed on the National Register are important for their role in South Dakota's culture, heritage, and history. And when properties get listed, it shows that their owners take pride in their role in preserving that culture, heritage, and history."
Buildings, sites, structures, and objects at least 50 years old possessing historical significance may qualify for the National Register, according to Vogt. Properties must also maintain their historic location, design, materials, and association. Listing on the National Register does not place any limitations on private property owners by the federal government.
Following is more information about these newly listed properties.
Bryant Masonic Lodge 118, Bryant
The Bryant Masonic Lodge 188, located at 204 E. Main St. in Bryant, was built in 1911. It is listed for its local significance in the context of social history for its association with the local chapter of the Freemasons. The building exemplifies the important role fraternal organizations played in encouraging social order, moral character, and charitable endeavors.
The lodge is also locally significant for its architecture. The building is a good example of the Italian Renaissance style and the only building of this style in Bryant.
James and Wilhelmina Anderson House, Lily
Located at 216 Park Ave. in Lily, the James and Wilhelmina Anderson House was built in 1904. Listed for its local architectural significance, this Queen Anne style house retains its historic integrity. It is currently being maintained by the Buffalo Plains Historical Foundation based in Webster.
Pickstown Fire and Police Station, Pickstown
The Pickstown Fire and Police Station was built in 1947 at 108 Lewis Ave. in Pickstown. It is listed for its role in local government and civic service. The town was founded by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers for the construction of the Fort Randall Dam on the Missouri River. It was built for the use of the workers and staff who were building and maintaining the dam, which was the first of the major Missouri River dams built under the federal Pick-Sloan program.
The Fire and Police Station provided critical public services for the federal town from its construction in 1947 up through the town's incorporation in 1985, when town hall functions were added to the building’s use. The building had space for fire and police staff and equipment, an ambulance, and a detention cell. It also housed a federal weather observation point.
Chil and Julia Chilson House, Webster
The Chil and Julia Chilson House was built at 120 W. 8th Ave. in Webster. Built in 1915, the house is locally eligible for listing in the area of architecture. The house embodies the distinctive characteristics of a Craftsman Style house constructed in the early 20th century. Because these features are retained, the Chilson House also possesses high artistic value expressing the aesthetic ideals of the Craftsman Style.
For more information on the National Register or other historic preservation programs, contact the State Historic Preservation Office at the Cultural Heritage Center, 900 Governors Drive, Pierre, SD 57501-2217; telephone 605-773-3458 or website history.sd.gov/Preservation (click on National Register of Historic Places in the right column).
About the South Dakota State Historical Society
The South Dakota State Historical Society is a division of the Department of Education. The State Historical Society, an Affiliate of the Smithsonian Institution, is headquartered at the South Dakota Cultural Heritage Center in Pierre. The center houses the society’s world-class museum, the archives, and the historic preservation, publishing, and administrative/development offices. Call 605-773-3458 or visit history.sd.gov for more information. The society also has an archaeology office in Rapid City; call 605-394-1936 for more information.