The South Dakota State Historical Society Board of Trustees recently approved 15 applications in six counties for the eight-year state historic preservation property tax moratorium for restoration and rehabilitation made to historic buildings.
“These approvals are significant because if an historic building qualifies for the tax benefit, an eight-year delay is placed on the property tax assessment of any certified improvements,” said Jay D. Vogt, director of the State Historical Society, headquartered at the Cultural Heritage Center in Pierre. “Property tax assessments may not be increased due to certified rehabilitation of the building. The property tax moratorium is an incentive for owners of properties listed in the National Register of Historic Places to maintain and rehabilitate their homes and businesses.”
One of the criteria for the approval was that the projects meet the U.S. Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for Rehabilitation.
Of the 15 properties receiving the moratorium, four are private residences and 11 are or will be income-producing properties. Investment per project ranged from $4,405 to $6 million. Private investments totaled approximately $7.9 million.
The deadline for applications is Nov. 1 annually. For more information on how to qualify for the state historic preservation property tax moratorium, contact the State Historic Preservation Office at the Cultural Heritage Center, 900 Governors Drive, Pierre, SD 57501-2217; telephone 605-773-3458; or see history.sd.gov/preservation/fundingopportunities.aspx.
Following is a list, by county, of the sites approved for the property tax moratorium.
Habicht’s Building, located at 274 Dakota Ave. S. in Huron was constructed in 1931. It was individually listed in the South Dakota State Register of Historic Places in 2019, and its nomination to the National Register is in process. This new project in 2019 restored the building’s exterior to its original appearance.
The Mitchell National Bank at 217 N. Main St. in Mitchell was constructed around 1907. It was listed as a contributing resource in the National Register as part of the Mitchell Historic Commercial District in 1975. This ongoing project replaced the roof in 2019.
Fall River County
The Harlou Building was constructed in 1893 at 407 N. River St. in Hot Springs. In 1974 it was listed in the National Register as part of the Hot Springs Historic District. This ongoing project completed work in several areas in 2019. The sandstone exterior was repointed, the stucco on the north wall was repaired and patched, the north steps to the second floor were reinforced, and the front and back doors were replaced.
The home at 3 Shine St. in Deadwood was constructed in 1895 and is a contributing resource in the Deadwood Historic District, which was listed in the National Register in 1966. This is a continuing project which is taking a previously condemned house and restoring it to a livable condition. The 2019 work done on this continuing project included replacing rotten eaves and soffit boards as needed, followed by priming and painting; removing the back door and reconfiguring the opening for a window; installing brick/masonry infill below a window to match; installing a new porch at the basement entry; replacing rotted framing at back overhang, installing flashings and reroofing; repainting exterior except for stone foundation; and installing a new kitchen including new plumbing, electrical, and HVAC. In addition, one corner of the foundation was not taken all the way to the basement floor level. This area was excavated as possible, a new concrete wall was poured and tied into the stone foundation.
608-610 Main St. in Deadwood, also a contributing resource in the Deadwood Historic District, was built in 1903. Work completed in 2019 on this new project included repairs to the storefront and replacement of the second floor windows.
The exact construction date of 732 Main St. is not known. It most likely was built after the fire of September 1879. Originally known as the Nehring Block located at Main and Shine Streets, it was moved to its present location in 1892. The building is a contributing resource in the Deadwood Historic District. Alterations in the 1950s changed the original design of the building. Work done on this new project in 2019 carefully dismantled the alterations to reveal the original design, which was then restored.
Listed on the South Dakota State Register in 2019, 78 Williams St., Deadwood, was built in 1890. In 2019, for this new project, the house was lifted, the foundation replaced, and then the house was put back on the new foundation. In addition, new siding, electrical, roof, windows, and storm windows were installed.
The property at 814 N. 8th St. in Spearfish was individually listed in the National Register in 1988 as the John Wolzmuth House. It is also included within the boundary of the recently-listed Jackson Boulevard Historic District. Built about 1900, work for this new project in 2019 was to repair the porch.
The overall rehabilitation work at the Odd Fellows Home, 100 W. 10th St. in Dell Rapids, has been continuing for several years. Constructed in 1910, the property was individually listed in the National Register in 2012. The work in 2019 included repairs to the front entry porch and to the staircase and hallways.
Built in 1902, the Mundt Building in Hartford is located at 101 N. Main Ave. It was individually listed in the National Register in 1981. This new project in 2019 included renovating half of the first floor into Joshua’s Coffee House and the other half into the Backdoor Garden flower shop.
The East Side Fire Station and Branch Library, 600 E. 7th St. in Sioux Falls, was built between 1916-1918. It was individually listed in the National Register in 2019. This is an ongoing project. Work completed in 2019 was to finish exterior installation of signage, railings, front canopy, and utilities; interior installation of carpet, paint, insulation, guardrails, floor tile, and electrical upgrades; fixed and patched interior brickwork; and reinstalled firepole. The project is now complete.
The Sioux Falls National Bank Building located at 100 N. Phillips Ave. in Sioux Falls was built in 1917. An addition was constructed in 1930 that was designed to look identical to the original portion. The building was individually listed in the National Register in 1979. The building reopened this fall as the boutique hotel, Hotel on Phillips. An ongoing project, the 2019 work included completion of interior renovations of floors one through nine along with finishing repointing exterior brick and repairing exterior terra cotta.
The house at 914 Quincy St. in Rapid City, built in 1907, is a contributing resource in the West Boulevard Historic District, which was listed in the National Register in 1974. Work completed on this new project in 2019 included installing new wood windows to match the original and the installation of a new HVAC system.
The Fairmont Creamery, 201 Main St. in Rapid City, was constructed in 1929 and was individually listed in the National Register in 2006. In 2019, work on this ongoing project was the renovation of the former brewery space into a loft apartment.
Constructed in 1927-1928, Hotel Alex Johnson is located at 523 6th St. in Rapid City. It is a contributing resource in the Rapid City Commercial Historic District, which was listed in the National Register in 1974. Renovation work in 2019 on this ongoing project included replacement of the HVAC systems and renovation of some lobby space.
About the South Dakota State Historical Society
The South Dakota State Historical Society is a division of the Department of Education. The State Historical Society, an Affiliate of the Smithsonian Institution, is headquartered at the South Dakota Cultural Heritage Center in Pierre. The center houses the society’s world-class museum, the archives, and the historic preservation, publishing, and administrative/development offices. Call 605-773-3458 or visit history.sd.gov for more information. The society also has an archaeology office in Rapid City; call 605-394-1936 for more information.