Historic preservation projects in Brookings, Burke, Lake City (Fort Sisseton), Philip, and Pierre recently received matching grants from the South Dakota State Historical Society.
“This historic preservation grants program is designed to encourage restoration or rehabilitation of historic properties and is one more way we can promote and protect our history and culture,” said Jay D. Vogt, director of the State Historical Society. “In 2019 we awarded $120,676 among nine projects which had matching funds of $327,812. The resulting total public-private investment is $448,488.”
The grants are awarded through the State Historical Society’s Deadwood Fund grant program. Funding for the program is from Deadwood gaming revenue earmarked by state law for historic preservation projects throughout the state. The program is administered by the society’s State Historic Preservation Office at the Cultural Heritage Center in Pierre.
The following projects were the most recent to receive grants to supplement their work:
- Brookings (Brookings County): Stock Judging Pavilion, built 1918; received $8,200 to assist in the repair of historic windows
- Burke (Gregory County): Gregory County Courthouse, built 1934; received $17,000 to assist in the replacement of non-historic windows
- Lake City (Marshall County): Fort Sisseton Adjutant’s Office (built 1869) and Magazine (built 1866); received $12,000 to assist in masonry and foundation repairs
- Philip (Haakon County): Haakon County Courthouse, built 1930; received $12,000 to assist in repointing masonry
- Pierre (Hughes County): Pierre American Legion Cabin, built 1942; received $17,000 to assist in repair of log construction
These new recipients represent a total award amount of $66,200 and matching funds of $66,200. The total public-private investment is $132,400. These figures are reflected in the 2019 statistics above.
Deadwood Fund grants are awarded twice a year with grant application deadlines of Feb. 1 and Oct. 1. They are reviewed at the spring and winter meetings of the State Historical Society’s board of trustees. For more information on the Deadwood Fund grant program, contact the State Historic Preservation Office at the Cultural Heritage Center, 900 Governors Drive, Pierre, SD 57501-2217; telephone 605-773-3458; or website history.sd.gov/preservation/fundingopportunities.aspx.
About the South Dakota State Historical Society
The South Dakota State Historical Society is a division of the Department of Education. The State Historical Society, an Affiliate of the Smithsonian Institution, is headquartered at the South Dakota Cultural Heritage Center in Pierre. The center houses the society’s world-class museum, the archives, and the historic preservation, publishing, and administrative/development offices. Call 605-773-3458 or visit history.sd.gov for more information. The society also has an archaeology office in Rapid City; call 605-394-1936 for more information.