There’s no need to fight the cold or get frosty fingers when you “Build a Snowman!” at Family Fun Saturday from 10-11:30 a.m. CST on Jan. 20 at the Cultural Heritage Center in Pierre.
These snowmen are refrigerator magnets made from paper, popsicle sticks and stickers. There is no fee to participate in the program, and entry to the museum is free during the program. All supplies are provided, and children should be accompanied by an adult. “Build a Snowman!” kicks off the second year of Family Fun Saturdays. The 2018 schedule is as follows:
• Feb. 4, 1-4 p.m. CST: make Valentines and enjoy SDSU ice cream
• March 17, 10-11:30 a.m. CST: Making Bunnies!
• April 21, 10-11:30 a.m. CST: April Showers
• May 19, 10-11:30 a.m. CST: May Flowers
• June 16, 10-11:30 a.m. CST: Fun with Flags
• July 14, 10-11:30 a.m. CST: Groovy 70s Spirograph
• Aug. 18, 10-11:30 a.m. CST: Quick Quilts
• Sept. 8, 10-11:30 a.m. CST: Beautiful Beads
• Oct. 20, 10-11:30 a.m. CST: Fabulous Pheasants
• Nov. 5, 10 a.m.-3 p.m. CST: Make-and-Take Holiday Ornament
“It’s been great to see all the return visitors we get for the Family Fun Saturdays,” said Jay Smith, museum director. “These days offer a quick craft and the opportunity for everyone to come and enjoy the museum exhibits. If you haven’t tried one yet, I encourage you to come on in for Build a Snowman on Jan. 20.”
The museum is open from 9 a.m.-4:30 p.m. CST Monday through Saturday, and 1-4:30 p.m. on Sundays and most holidays. Call 605-773-3458 for more information.
About the South Dakota State Historical Society
The South Dakota State Historical Society is a division of the Department of Education. The State Historical Society, an Affiliate of the Smithsonian Institution, is headquartered at the South Dakota Cultural Heritage Center in Pierre. The center houses the society’s world-class museum, the archives, and the historic preservation, publishing and administrative/development offices. Call 605-773-3458 or visit www.history.sd.gov for more information. The society also has an archaeology office in Rapid City; call 605-394-1936 for more information