Historic preservation projects in Aberdeen, Canton, Hot Springs, Ipswich and Oakwood Lakes State Park have received matching grants from the South Dakota State Historical Society.
“2017 is the 20th year for this historic preservation grants program,” said Jay D. Vogt, director of the State Historical Society. “In 2016 we awarded $108,204 between 11 projects which had matching funds of $291,301. The resulting total public-private investment is $399,505. This program is designed to encourage restoration or rehabilitation of historic properties and is one more way we can promote and protect our history and culture.”
The grants are awarded through the State Historical Society’s Deadwood Fund grant program. Funding for the program is from Deadwood gaming revenue earmarked by state law for historic preservation projects throughout the state. The program is administered by the society’s State Historic Preservation Office at the Cultural Heritage Center in Pierre.
The following projects were the most recent to receive grants to supplement their work:
Aberdeen: Wylie Park Pavilion, built around 1912, $10,000 grant award to assist with repair and replacement of wood siding and for painting
Bruce vicinity (Oakwood Lakes State Park): Mortimer Cabin, built around 1869, $13,000 grant award to assist with the replacement of chinking and to repair logs, the stone foundation and the gable roof ends
Canton: Gale & Ward Bank Building, built in 1880, $12,000 to assist with the repointing of the brick masonry as part of a larger rehabilitation project
Hot Springs: the Harlou Building, built in 1893, $16,329 to assist with the repair of windows, installation of storm windows on the second floor and replacement of a non-historic storefront window
Ipswich: First Baptist Church, built in 1926, $12,000 to assist with replacing the roof
These new recipients represent a total award amount of $63,329 with planned matching funds of $157,498. The anticipated total public-private investment is $220,827.
Deadwood Fund grants are awarded twice a year, with grant application deadlines of Feb. 1 and Oct. 1. They are reviewed at the spring and winter meetings of the State Historical Society’s board of trustees. For more information on the Deadwood Fund grant program, contact the State Historic Preservation Office at the Cultural Heritage Center, 900 Governors Drive, Pierre, SD 57501-2217; telephone (605) 773-3458; or website history.sd.gov/Preservation.
About the South Dakota State Historical Society
The South Dakota State Historical Society is a division of the Department of Education. The State Historical Society, an Affiliate of the Smithsonian Institution, is headquartered at the South Dakota Cultural Heritage Center in Pierre. The center houses the society’s world-class museum, the archives, and the historic preservation, publishing and administrative/development offices. Call (605) 773-3458 or visit www.history.sd.gov for more information. The society also has an archaeology office in Rapid City; call (605) 394-1936 for more information.