Six more South Dakota properties were recently added to the National Register of Historic Places, according to the South Dakota State Historical Society.
The listed properties are the Belle Fourche Band Shell, the Canton Carnegie Library, the Herschell-Spillman Steam Riding Gallery (aka Prairie Village Carousel) in Madison, the Rapid City Masonic Temple, the Raymond Farmers and Citizens Bank, and the Sturgis Water Works Company Supply Works Site.
The National Register is the official federal list of properties identified as important in American history, architecture, archaeology, engineering and culture. The State Historic Preservation Office of the State Historical Society works in conjunction with the National Park Service, which oversees the National Register program, to list the properties.
"South Dakota's history is rich in American Indian culture, pioneer life and change," said Jay D. Vogt, state historic preservation officer and director of the State Historical Society. "Properties listed on the National Register are important for their role in South Dakota's culture, heritage and history. And when properties get listed, it shows that their owners take pride in their role in preserving that culture, heritage and history."
Buildings, sites, structures and objects at least 50 years old possessing historical significance may qualify for the National Register, according to Vogt. Properties must also maintain their historic location, design, materials and association. Listing on the National Register does not place any limitations on private property owners by the federal government.
Following is more information about these newly listed properties.
The Belle Fourche Band Shell in Hermann Park was built in 1954. It was listed in the National Register for the entertainment and recreation it has provided to the community over the years. It is also significant as a common adaptation of the band shell form, which first became popular in the 1920s and 1930s across the nation.
The Canton Carnegie Library, located at 225 E. 4th St., was built in 1913 after years of effort by leading citizens to establish a free public library for the educational use of their community. It is listed in the National Register as a significant local example of neoclassical architecture, a style often used for libraries and public buildings for its allusions to enlightenment, tradition and public virtue.
The Herschell-Spillman Steam Riding Gallery, more commonly known as the Prairie Village Carousel, was built sometime between 1901 and 1920. A rare and intact example of a Herschell-Spillman Steam Riding Gallery, this carousel is listed in the National Register for its association with the historical themes of entertainment and recreation in the early-20th century United States. It is located in Prairie Village at 45205 U.S. Hwy. 81/SD Hwy. 34.
The Rapid City Masonic Temple at 618 Kansas City St. was built in 1925. It was listed in the National Register for its significance to the community in the area of social history and represents the fraternal organization’s long history in and contributions to Rapid City. The temple is also listed as a rare example of Renaissance Revival architecture in Rapid City. It is the oldest known example of a building designed by architect James C. Ewing, Sr., who made significant contributions to the architecture of Rapid City between 1925 and the 1960s.
The Raymond Farmers and Citizens State Bank was listed in the National Register for its association with the historical theme of commercial development in Raymond. It is significant as the best local representative of the two-part commercial block, the most common form for small and moderate-sized commercial buildings in the United States. The building, located at 202 Flower St., was built in 1911.
The Sturgis Water Works Company Supply Works Site, located at 2835 Davenport St., began construction in 1892. It is listed in the National Register for its contribution to local commerce and industry. It is also listed for its connection to Joseph and Jarvis Davenport, both of whom made significant contributions to the community by way of this property.
For more information on the National Register or other historic preservation programs, contact the State Historic Preservation Office at the Cultural Heritage Center, 900 Governors Drive, Pierre, SD 57501-2217; telephone (605) 773-3458 or website history.sd.gov/Preservation (click on National Register of Historic Places in the right column).
About the South Dakota State Historical Society
The South Dakota State Historical Society is a division of the Department of Education. The State Historical Society, an Affiliate of the Smithsonian Institution, is headquartered at the South Dakota Cultural Heritage Center in Pierre. The center houses the society’s world-class museum, the archives, and the historic preservation, publishing and administrative/development offices. Call (605) 773-3458 or visit www.history.sd.gov for more information. The society also has an archaeology office in Rapid City; call (605) 394-1936 for more information.