Sunday morning services begin on June 1 at the historic Oahe Chapel overlooking Lake Oahe. Visitors to the area, as well as local residents, are invited to attend.
Public ecumenical services are held at 8 a.m. CDT each Sunday through Labor Day. The chapel is located adjacent to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Visitor Center, approximately five miles north of Pierre on SD Highway 1804. Services are hosted by the Pierre-Fort Pierre Ministerial Association and the Oahe Chapel Preservation Society.
Participating churches in the 2014 Sunday services schedule include:
June 1 Capitol Heights Baptist Church
June 8 First United Methodist Church
June 15 First Baptist Church
June 22 Oahe Presbyterian Church
June 29 New Life Assembly of God Church, Bloodwashed Band
July 6 Dakota Association
July 13 First Congregational United Church of Christ
July 20 New Life Assembly of God Church, Bloodwashed Band
July 27 Trinity Episcopal Church
Aug. 3 First Congregational United Church of Christ
Aug. 10 Calvary Baptist Church of Blunt
Aug. 17 Southeast United Methodist Church
Aug. 24 Lutheran Memorial Church
Aug. 31 Resurrection Lutheran Church
The chapel is owned by the South Dakota State Historical Society and managed by the Oahe Chapel Preservation Society, which oversees its maintenance and preservation.
The Oahe Mission was established in 1874 by Rev. Thomas L. Riggs, a Congregationalist minister, and his first wife, Cornelia Margaret “Nina” Foster, to serve as a mission to the Sioux Indians of central South Dakota. The chapel, built in 1877, was originally located on the east bank of the Missouri River at Peoria Flats, roughly five miles upriver from its current location. It was moved to its current location in 1964 after construction of the Oahe Dam flooded the original site.
For more information on the Oahe Chapel summer services, the Oahe Chapel Preservation Society or how to rent the Chapel, contact the State Historical Society at (605) 773-3458.