Historic preservation projects in Aberdeen, Dell Rapids, Lake City, Redfield and Yankton recently received matching grants from the South Dakota State Historical Society.
“This is the 17th year for this historic preservation grants program,” said Jay D. Vogt, director of the society. “In 2013 we awarded over $126,700 between 11 projects which will result in a total public-private investment of over $473,300. This program is designed to encourage restoration or rehabilitation of historic properties and is one more way we can promote and protect our history and culture.”
The grants are awarded through the State Historical Society’s Deadwood Fund grant program. Funding for the program is from Deadwood gaming revenue earmarked by state law for historic preservation projects throughout the state. The program is administered by the society’s State Historic Preservation Office at the Cultural Heritage Center in Pierre.
The following projects were the most recent to receive grants:
Aberdeen: Roosevelt School, built in 1922, $10,000 to repair joints of the brick exterior;
Dell Rapids: Odd Fellows Home, built in 1910, $15,000 to replace the damaged roof, replace damaged windows in-kind, and to develop a rehabilitation plan for the interior;
Lake City vicinity: Fort Sisseton Doctor’s Residence, built in 1881, $12,971 to reshingle the roof;
Redfield: Spink County Courthouse, built in 1927, $10,000 to repair mortar joints and masonry;
Yankton: The Mead Building on the campus of the historic Human Services Center, built in 1909, $15,000 to rebuild the damaged decorative plaster and moldings in the front parlors and grand foyer.
This represents a total award amount of $62,971 and public-private matching funds of $191,641.
Deadwood Fund grants are awarded twice a year, with grant application deadlines of Feb. 1 and Oct. 1. Applications are reviewed at the spring and winter meetings of the State Historical Society’s board of trustees.
For more information on the Deadwood Fund grant program, contact the State Historic Preservation Office at the Cultural Heritage Center, 900 Governors Drive, Pierre, SD 57501-2217; telephone (605) 773-3458; or website history.sd.gov/Preservation.