The South Dakota State Historical Society board of trustees recently approved 17 applications for the eight-year state historic preservation property tax moratorium for restoration and rehabilitation made to historic buildings. The projects meet the U.S. Secretary of the Interior’s “Standards for Rehabilitation.”
“These approvals are significant because if an historic building qualifies for the tax benefit, an eight-year delay is placed on the property tax assessment of any certified improvements,” said Jay D. Vogt, director of the State Historical Society, headquartered at the Cultural Heritage Center in Pierre. “Property tax assessments may not be increased due to certified rehabilitation of the building.”
The property tax moratorium is an incentive for owners of properties listed in the National Register of Historic Places to maintain and rehabilitate their homes and businesses, Vogt added.
For more information on how to qualify for the state historic preservation property tax moratorium, contact the State Historical Society at (605) 773-3458, or go online to history.sd.gov/preservation/FundingOpps/SPTMOverview2014.pdf.
Following is a list by county of the sites approved for the property tax moratorium:
Whittier School, 410 W. 2nd Ave. SE, Mitchell; former school built in 1935 being rehabilitated into offices and housing
H.M. McDonald House, 1906 E. Erskine St., Pierre; rehabilitation work on 1885 home
Hyde Building, 101 S. Pierre St., Pierre; rehabilitating 1904 building for retail and office space
Walter Rowe House, 1118 E. Capitol Ave., Pierre; rehabilitation work on 1907 home
17 Filmore St., Deadwood; rehabilitation work on this circa 1900 home
Dye House, 24 Adams St., Deadwood; rehabilitation work on this circa 1899 home
Baker House, 503 E. 21st St., Sioux Falls; rehabilitation work on 1916 home
Farley-Loetscher Building, 322 & 324 E. 8th St., Sioux Falls; former custom millwork company building, built in 1900, being rehabilitated into offices and housing
State Theatre, 316 S. Phillips Ave., Sioux Falls; rehabilitation of theater built in 1925 to serve as such once again
1518 West Blvd., Rapid City; rehabilitation work on 1927 home
Fairmont Creamery, 201 Main St., Rapid City; former creamery built in 1929 being rehabilitated for retail and office use
J.C. Read House, 726 South St., Rapid City; rehabilitation work on 1908 home
Rapid City Garage, 827 & 829 Main St., Rapid City; former car dealership built in 1911 being rehabilitated for retail and possible office use
Rapid City Laundry, 312 Main St., Rapid City; commercial laundry built in 1929, rehabilitation of office and industrial space
Old Fort Pierre School, 112 W. 2nd Ave., Fort Pierre; former school built in circa 1900 being rehabilitated as single family residence
T.I. Gunderson Home, 1041 Washington St., Centerville; rehabilitation work on 1899 home
Coulson House, 517 Mulberry St., Yankton; rehabilitation work on 1878 home
The South Dakota State Historical Society is a division of the Department of Tourism. The Department of Tourism is comprised of Tourism, the South Dakota Arts Council and the State Historical Society. The Department is led by Secretary James D. Hagen. The State Historical Society, an Affiliate of the Smithsonian Institution, is headquartered at the South Dakota Cultural Heritage Center in Pierre. The center houses the society’s world-class museum, the archives, and the historic preservation, publishing and administrative/development offices. Call (605) 773-3458 or visit history.sd.gov for more information. The society also has an archaeology office in Rapid City; call (605) 394-1936 for more information.