The South Dakota State Historical Society board of trustees recently approved 16 applications in nine counties for the eight-year state historic preservation property tax moratorium for restoration and rehabilitation made to historic buildings.
“These approvals are significant because if a historic building qualifies for the tax benefit, an eight-year delay is placed on the property tax assessment of any certified improvements,” said Ted M. Spencer, State Historic Preservation Officer and director of the society’s Historic Preservation Office in Pierre. “Property tax assessments may not be increased due to certified rehabilitation of the building. The property tax moratorium is an incentive for owners of properties listed in the National Register of Historic Places to maintain and rehabilitate their homes and businesses.”
One of the criteria for the approval was that the projects meet the U.S. Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for Rehabilitation.
Of the 16 properties receiving the moratorium, eight are private residences and eight are or will be income-producing properties. Investment per project ranged from $2,500 to $240,000. Private investments totaled approximately $1.971 million.
The deadline for applications is Nov. 1 annually. For more information on how to qualify for the state historic preservation property tax moratorium, contact the State Historic Preservation Office at the Cultural Heritage Center, 900 Governors Drive, Pierre, SD 57501-2217; telephone 605-773-3458; or see history.sd.gov/preservation/fundingopportunities.aspx. For information on State Historical Society membership, call 605-773-6000 or visit history.sd.gov/membership.aspx.
Following is a list, by county, of the sites approved for the property tax moratorium.
Caldwell House, located at 804 6th Ave. in Brookings, was constructed in 1902. It was individually listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1986. This new project in 2020 worked to construct a rear entryway porch; to replace old wood windows with new compatible windows; to construct footings for the northeast and southeast additions; construct a concrete block wall to support the foundation; reframe the interior spaces; replace a rotten subfloor on the main level; replace floor jousts in the kitchen and sitting room; install new insulation, plumbing, and electrical; and reconstruct staircases.
The building at 7 Center St. in Vermillion was constructed in 1922. The building is a contributing structure to the Downtown Vermillion Historic District, which was listed in the National Register in 2003. This new project in 2020 focused on the repair of an exterior door frame on the rear of the building and to stabilize the crumbling bricks above the frame.
The home located at 22 Bloomingdale St. in Vermillion was built in 1915. This home is a contributing structure to the Bluff Historic District, which was listed in the National Register in 2016. This new project in 2020 focused its work on repainting and reroofing of the detached garage, along with the removal of a 1970s era hot tub located on an interior porch of the house.
The W.S. Hill House located at 520 E 6th Ave. in Mitchell was built in 1910. This building was individually listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2009. Work on this continuing project focused last year on refinishing an interior staircase.
Fall River County
The Harlou Building was constructed in 1893 at 407 N. River St. in Hot Springs. In 1974, it was listed in the National Register as part of the Hot Springs Historic District. This ongoing project completed work in several areas in 2020, including replacing the roof and stabilizing and repainting an exterior staircase.
The home at 30 Adams St. in Deadwood was built in 1903. This house is a contributing structure to the Deadwood National Historic Landmark and the Deadwood Historic District, added into the National Register of Historic Places in 1966. The scope of work for this new project in 2020 included removal of metal siding and replacement with a fiber cement lap siding to resemble wood, replacement of non-historic windows with wood windows, replacement of rotten facia and soffit, and repair to the foundation.
The exact construction date of 732 Main St. in Deadwood is not known. It most likely was built after the fire of September 1879. Originally known as the Nehring Block located at Main and Shine streets, it was moved to its present location in 1892. The building is a contributing resource in the Deadwood Historic District, added in the National Register of Historic Places in 1966. Alterations in the 1950s changed the original design of the building. Work in 2020 for this continuing project included removal of remaining stucco, replacement of deteriorated wood windows with in-kind replacements, new storm windows, the extension of the lower porch deck over the existing concrete deck, reconstruction of the upper porch, the addition of a new deck railing, and painting of the exterior.
The home at 25 McKinley St. in Deadwood was built in 1938. This home is a contributing property to the Deadwood Historic District, listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1966. The scope of work for this new project in 2020 included repairing a portion of the foundation, the replacement of deteriorated wood windows in-kind, replacement of non-historic metal siding with fiber cement lap, the addition of curbing to an exterior retaining wall, and replacement of rotten kitchen floor joists.
The home located at 11 West Hill St. in Lead was built in 1910. This home is a contributing structure to the Lead Historic District, originally add to the National Register of Historic Places in 1974. The scope of work for this new project in 2020 included the replacement of a non-historic metal roof with asphalt shingles, removal of asphalt siding and repairing original wood siding, porch stabilization and restoration to an open configuration, the grading of the hillside to reduce the threat of moisture penetration, replacement of a sliding door, removal of a non-contributing garage, restoration of historic windows, and refinishing interior spaces.
The home located at 33 Taylor Ave. in Deadwood was built in the 1890s. This home is a contributing structure in the Deadwood Historic District, originally listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1966. The scope of work for this new project in 2020 included reconstructing part of the foundation and removing and reconstructing a porch. There are plans to continue this project in 2021 by completing the reconstruction of the porch and repairing the waterproof layer beneath the metal tins on the roof.
The overall rehabilitation work at the Odd Fellows Home, 100 W. 10th St. in Dell Rapids, has been continuing for several years. Constructed in 1910, the property was individually listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2012. The work in 2020 included replacement of a rear door on the main building and the patching of cracks and rocks around the foundation of the laundry building, with added drainage to reduce water damage.
The Sproesser House at 1220 S. Main St. in Sioux Falls was built in 1923. The Sproesser House is a contributing member of the Sherman Historic District, originally listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2004. The scope of work for this new project in 2020 included renovation to the attic, restoration of three casement windows and replacement of two double-hung windows in-kind, installation of an HVAC system and duct work, an update of electrical from knob-and-tub wiring to modern wiring, removal of flammable fiber board, finishing with tongue and groove shiplap, and the addition of a staircase railing.
Fall Center, located at 431 Phillips Ave. in Sioux Falls, was built in 1899 and originally served as a wholesale grocery. This building is a contributing structure to the Sioux Falls Commercial District originally listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1983. This new project for 2020 had a scope of work that included tuckpointing on the south wall, re-pouring the slab for the loading dock, heat tape replacement, gutter replacement, the addition of snow guards for the loading dock roof, new flashing on the roof, and installation of interior LED lighting.
The Fairmont Creamery, 201 Main St. in Rapid City, was constructed in 1929 and was individually listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2006. In 2020, the scope of work included replacement of membrane on the garage roof, rehabilitation and refinishing of concrete floors, removal of letters on the smokestack, and the application of sealant on the exterior of the building’s west side.
The T.I. Gunderson House, located at 1041 Washington St. in Centerville, was built in 1899 with a rear addition added in 1920. The house was individually listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2004. The scope of work for this new project in 2020 included repair of exterior stone; repair of the stucco foundation; painting of the exterior windowsills, porch pillars, and trim; and spot patching of the damaged porch roof membrane.
The Cox Building, located at 211 West 3rd St. in Yankton, was built around 1880. The building is a contributing structure to the Yankton Commercial District, originally listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1982. The scope of work for this new project in 2020 included restoration of two historic windows, removal of a non-historic drop ceiling, and restoration of the historic tin ceiling tiles.
About the South Dakota State Historical Society
The South Dakota State Historical Society is a division of the Department of Education. The State Historical Society, an Affiliate of the Smithsonian Institution since 2013, is headquartered at the South Dakota Cultural Heritage Center in Pierre. The center houses the society’s world-class museum, the archives, and the historic preservation, publishing, and administrative/development offices. Call 605-773-3458 or visit history.sd.gov for more information. The society also has an archaeology office in Rapid City; call 605-394-1936 for more information.