Historic preservation projects in Huron, Sisseton, and Yankton recently received matching grants from the South Dakota State Historical Society.
“This historic preservation grants program is designed to encourage restoration or rehabilitation of historic properties and is one more way we can promote and protect our history and culture,” said Jay D. Vogt, director of the State Historical Society at the Cultural Heritage Center in Pierre. “In 2019 we awarded $120,676 among nine projects which had matching funds of $327,812. The resulting total public-private investment was $448,488.”
The grants are awarded through the State Historical Society’s Deadwood Fund grant program. Funding for the program is from Deadwood gaming revenue earmarked by state law for historic preservation projects throughout the state. The program is administered by the society’s State Historic Preservation Office at the Cultural Heritage Center.
The following projects were the most recent to receive grants to supplement their work:
Huron (Beadle County): Habicht & Habicht Department Store, built in 1931, received $12,550 to assist in restoring metal fixtures, replacing broken glass storefront panes, restoring original window signage in exterior transom and glass in interior transom, manufacturing back door according to original designs, install period-appropriate cloth awning over storefront.
Sisseton (Roberts County): Sisseton Middle School, built in 1937, received $22,500 to assist in the completion of roof repair.
Yankton (Yankton County): Yankton United Church of Christ, built in 1905, received $15,000 to assist with continuing repairs to stained glass windows.
These new recipients represent a total award amount of $50,050 and estimated matching funds of $229,166. The total public-private investment is $279,216. These figures will be included in the 2020 year-end totals.
Deadwood Fund grants are awarded twice a year with grant application deadlines of Feb. 1 and Oct. 1. They are reviewed at the spring and winter meetings of the State Historical Society’s board of trustees. For more information on the Deadwood Fund grant program, contact the State Historic Preservation Office at the Cultural Heritage Center, 900 Governors Drive, Pierre, SD 57501-2217; telephone 605-773-3458; or website history.sd.gov/preservation/fundingopportunities.aspx.
About the South Dakota State Historical Society
The South Dakota State Historical Society is a division of the Department of Education. The State Historical Society, an Affiliate of the Smithsonian Institution since 2013, is headquartered at the South Dakota Cultural Heritage Center in Pierre. The center houses the society’s world-class museum, the archives, and the historic preservation, publishing, and administrative/development offices. Call 605-773-3458 or visit history.sd.gov for more information. The society also has an archaeology office in Rapid City; call 605-394-1936 for more information.