Historic preservation projects in Hot Springs, Huron and Miller have received matching Deadwood Fund grants from the South Dakota State Historical Society.
“This historic preservation grants program is designed to encourage restoration or rehabilitation of historic properties and is one more way we can promote and protect our history and culture,” said Jay D. Vogt, director of the State Historical Society. “In 2018 we awarded $117,000 among 10 projects which had matching funds of $580,106. The resulting total public-private investment is $697,106.”
The grants are awarded through the State Historical Society’s Deadwood Fund grant program. Funding for the program is from Deadwood gaming revenue earmarked by state law for historic preservation projects throughout the state. The program is administered by the society’s State Historic Preservation Office at the Cultural Heritage Center in Pierre.
The following projects were the most recent to receive grants to supplement their work:
- Beadle County, Huron: First Congregational Church, built in 1919; received $15,000 to assist with stained-glass window restoration and storm window replacement; and First Presbyterian Church, built in 1915; received $12,000 to assist with stained-glass window restoration and storm window installation
- Fall River County, Hot Springs: Harlou Building, built in 1893; received $13,000 to assist with masonry repair and repointing on façade and side as well as repair of the side exterior stairs
- Hand County, Miller: Hand County Courthouse, built in 1924; received $14,476.30 to assist with skylight and stained-glass window restoration
These new recipients represent a total award amount of $54,476. With their matching funds of $261,612, the total public-private investment is $316,088.
Deadwood Fund grants are awarded twice a year with grant application deadlines of Feb. 1 and Oct. 1. They are reviewed at the spring and winter meetings of the State Historical Society’s board of trustees. For more information on the Deadwood Fund grant program, contact the State Historic Preservation Office at the Cultural Heritage Center, 900 Governors Drive, Pierre, SD 57501-2217; telephone 605-773-3458; or website history.sd.gov/preservation/fundingopportunities.aspx.
About the South Dakota State Historical Society
The South Dakota State Historical Society is a division of the Department of Education. The State Historical Society, an Affiliate of the Smithsonian Institution, is headquartered at the South Dakota Cultural Heritage Center in Pierre. The center houses the society’s world-class museum, the archives, and the historic preservation, publishing and administrative/development offices. Call 605-773-3458 or visit history.sd.gov for more information. The society also has an archaeology office in Rapid City; call 605-394-1936 for more information.