Historic preservation projects in Brookings, Central City, Freeman, Redfield, Sisseton and Yankton have received matching grants from the South Dakota State Historical Society.
“2018 is the 21st year for this historic preservation grants program,” said Jay D. Vogt, director of the State Historical Society. “In 2017 we awarded $123,869 between 10 projects which had matching funds of $360,498. The resulting total public-private investment was $484,367. This program is designed to encourage restoration or rehabilitation of historic properties and is one more way we can promote and protect our history and culture.”
The grants are awarded through the State Historical Society’s Deadwood Fund grant program. Funding for the program is from Deadwood gaming revenue earmarked by state law for historic preservation projects throughout the state. The program is administered by the society’s State Historic Preservation Office at the Cultural Heritage Center in Pierre.
The following projects were the most recent to receive grants to supplement their work:
• Brookings: Agricultural Heritage Museum, built in 1918, $15,000 grant award to assist with window restoration
• Central City: St. Lawrence O’Toole Catholic Church, built in 1879, $10,000 grant award to assist with roof and foundation repair
• Freeman: Ludwig Deckert House, built around 1879, $12,000 to assist with foundation repair
• Redfield: Norbeck-Nicholson Carriage House, built around 1907, $5,000 to assist with roof replacement
• Sisseton: Stavig House, built in 1916, $10,000 to assist with gutter, fascia and soffit repair
• Yankton: Mead Building, built in 1909, $15,000 to assist with veranda repair
These new recipients represent a total award amount of $67,000 with planned matching funds of $232,706. The anticipated total public-private investment is $299,706.
Deadwood Fund grants are awarded twice a year, with grant application deadlines of Feb. 1 and Oct. 1. They are reviewed at the spring and winter meetings of the State Historical Society’s board of trustees. For more information on the Deadwood Fund grant program, contact the State Historic Preservation Office at the Cultural Heritage Center, 900 Governors Drive, Pierre, SD 57501-2217; telephone 605-773-3458; or website history.sd.gov/Preservation.
About the South Dakota State Historical Society
The South Dakota State Historical Society is a division of the Department of Education. The State Historical Society, an Affiliate of the Smithsonian Institution, is headquartered at the South Dakota Cultural Heritage Center in Pierre. The center houses the society’s world-class museum, the archives, and the historic preservation, publishing and administrative/development offices. Call 605-773-3458 or visit history.sd.gov for more information. The society also has an archaeology office in Rapid City; call 605-394-1936 for more information.