The South Dakota State Historical Society board of trustees recently approved 22 applications in 10 counties for the eight-year state historic preservation property tax moratorium for restoration and rehabilitation made to historic buildings.
“These approvals are significant because if an historic building qualifies for the tax benefit, an eight-year delay is placed on the property tax assessment of any certified improvements,” said Jay D. Vogt, director of the State Historical Society, headquartered at the Cultural Heritage Center in Pierre. “Property tax assessments may not be increased due to certified rehabilitation of the building.
“The property tax moratorium is an incentive for owners of properties listed in the National Register of Historic Places to maintain and rehabilitate their homes and businesses,” Vogt added.
One of the criteria for the approval was that the projects meet the U.S. Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for Rehabilitation.
Of the 22 properties receiving the moratorium, 13 are private residences and nine are or will be income-producing properties. Investment per project ranged from $3,000 to $4 million. Private investments totaled $8.49 million.
For more information on how to qualify for the state historic preservation property tax moratorium, contact the State Historical Society at (605) 773-3458, or go online to history.sd.gov/preservation/FundingOpps/SPTMOverview2017.pdf.
Following is a list by county of the sites approved for the property tax moratorium.
Hilton House, 402 N. Main St., White Lake; constructed c. 1920; 2016 work was to refinish the porch.
Hofmeister House, 209 E. 1st St., White Lake; constructed in 1912; 2016 work continued rehabilitation to create usable living space in the basement.
Olwin-Angell Building, 321 S. Main St., Aberdeen; constructed in 1903 with third floor added in 1914; 2016 work was to create a gym on the first floor.
7 Center St., Vermillion; constructed in 1922; 2016 work included the installation of new electrical, plumbing and mechanical systems along with other interior renovations.
13 & 15 W. Main St., Vermillion; constructed as two separate buildings in 1883 and 1892, buildings combined into one in 2005; 2016 work remodeled the interior for a new business.
Mitchell National Bank, 217 N. Main St., Mitchell; constructed around 1907; 2016 work repointed exterior stone.
W.S. Hill House, 520 E. 6th Ave., Mitchell; constructed in 1910; 2016 work renovated the original fireplace.
Fall River County
Harlou Building, 407 N. River St., Hot Springs; constructed in 1893; 2016 work renovated a portion of the first floor to hold a gallery, shop and studio space.
E.W. Stephens House, 500 N. Grand Ave., Pierre; constructed in 1939; 2016 work included a kitchen remodel, replacement of the house electrical, plumbing and heating/cooling (HVAC) systems, remediated mold and asbestos, repointed exterior brick and refinished all the wood floors.
McDonald House, 1906 E. Erskine St., Pierre; constructed in 1885; 2016 work included stabilizing the foundation, remodeling the unfinished attic, renovating the second floor bathroom, and remodeling the kitchen.
Miller House, 519 N. Huron Ave., Pierre; constructed 1925; 2016 work rebuilt the interior.
3 Shine St., Deadwood; constructed in 1895; 2016 work was structural stabilization and remediation of hazardous materials.
138-140 Sherman St., Deadwood; constructed around 1897; 2016 work restored the original exterior appearance.
360 Williams St., Deadwood; constructed around 1880; 2016 work removed non-historic material, installed new electrical, plumbing and HVAC, repaired the foundation, replaced the roof, abated lead paint and painted the exterior.
Fountain House, 21 Charles St., Deadwood; constructed in 1890; 2016 work included a completed exterior restoration, installation of new electrical, plumbing and HVAC, and interior renovations.
McMillan House, 1611 Davenport St., Sturgis; constructed in 1887; 2016 work included renovation of the first floor bathroom to remediate water damage, installation of interior storm windows, installation of new gutters and downspouts, and repairing and repainting some plaster walls.
Bowen House, 840 W. 9th St., Sioux Falls; constructed 1899-1900; 2016 work repointed the brick exterior and repaired cracks in the foundation.
Odd Fellows Home, 100 W. 10th St., Dell Rapids; constructed in 1910; 2016 work was the completion of two condo units.
Aby’s Feed and Seed, 408-412 5th St., Rapid City; original grain elevator and industrial complex constructed between 1911 and 1944; 2016 work repaired the loading dock on the south side and completed renovation of brick buildings on the north side and the warehouse on the east side.
Dean Motor Company, 329 Main St., Rapid City; constructed in 1930; 2016 work kept the open floor plan to adapt to a mixed use concept retaining the original industrial feel of the building with clay tile walls and visible roof trusses.
Fairmont Creamery, 201 Main St., Rapid City; constructed in 1929; 2016 work replaced the roof.
Hotel Alex Johnson, 523 6th St., Rapid City; constructed in 1927-1928; 2016 work updated guest rooms, administrative spaces, banquet halls and restaurant facilities.
About the South Dakota State Historical Society
The South Dakota State Historical Society is a division of the Department of Education. The State Historical Society, an Affiliate of the Smithsonian Institution, is headquartered at the South Dakota Cultural Heritage Center in Pierre. The center houses the society’s world-class museum, the archives, and the historic preservation, publishing and administrative/development offices. Call (605) 773-3458 or visit www.history.sd.gov for more information. The society also has an archaeology office in Rapid City; call (605) 394-1936 for more information.