The South Dakota State Historical Society has announced that the applications for the next round of the Deadwood Fund grant program are due on Oct. 1 for work beginning Jan. 1, 2014.
The program is designed to encourage large-scale restoration or rehabilitation of historic properties by individuals, organizations or public agencies, according to Jay D. Vogt, director of the State Historical Society, whose historic preservation office at the Cultural Heritage Center in Pierre administers the program.
Grants will be awarded in amounts ranging from $1,000 to $25,000. The grant amount must be matched on a dollar-for-dollar basis from nonfederal and nonstate sources. Nonprofit organizations will be allowed to use in-kind services for one-half of their match.
In 2012, more than $106,700 was distributed among 12 projects.
Funding for the program is from Deadwood gaming revenue earmarked by state law for historic preservation projects throughout the state and distributed by the State Historical Society.
The first round of 2014 applications will be due on Feb. 1, 2014.
For more information on the South Dakota State Historical Society’s Deadwood Fund grant program, contact the State Historic Preservation Office at the Cultural Heritage Center, 900 Governors Drive, Pierre, SD 57501-2217; telephone (605) 773-3458.
Grant forms are available online at history.sd.gov/Preservation/FundingOpps/FundingOpportunities.
The South Dakota State Historical Society is a division of the Department of Tourism. The Department of Tourism is comprised of Tourism, the South Dakota Arts Council, and the State Historical Society. The Department is led by Secretary James D. Hagen. The State Historical Society, an Affiliate of the Smithsonian Institution, is headquartered at the South Dakota Cultural Heritage Center in Pierre. The center houses the society’s world-class museum, the archives, and the historic preservation, publishing and administrative/development offices. Call (605) 773-3458 or visit history.sd.gov for more information. The society also has an archaeology office in Rapid City; call (605) 394-1936 for more information.