Skip to Content

News

State Historical Society board approves property tax moratorium applications

The South Dakota State Historical Society board of trustees recently approved 15 applications in seven counties for the eight-year state historic preservation property tax moratorium for restoration and rehabilitation made to historic buildings.

“These approvals are significant because if an historic building qualifies for the tax benefit, an eight-year delay is placed on the property tax assessment of any certified improvements,” said Jay D. Vogt, director of the State Historical Society, headquartered at the Cultural Heritage Center in Pierre. “Property tax assessments may not be increased due to certified rehabilitation of the building.

“The property tax moratorium is an incentive for owners of properties listed in the National Register of Historic Places to maintain and rehabilitate their homes and businesses,” Vogt added.

One of the criteria for the approval was that the projects meet the U.S. Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for Rehabilitation.

Of the 15 properties receiving the moratorium, six are private residences and nine are or will be income-producing properties. Investment per project ranged from $15,500 to $2.6 million. Private investments totaled $6.269 million.

For more information on how to qualify for the state historic preservation property tax moratorium, contact the State Historic Preservation Office at the Cultural Heritage Center, 900 Governors Drive, Pierre, SD 57501-2217; telephone 605-773-3458; or see history.sd.gov/Preservation/FundingOpps/SPTMOverview2018.pdf.

Following is a list, by county, of the sites approved for the property tax moratorium.

Clay County
2-4 E. Main St., Vermillion; constructed in 1884; contributing resource in the Downtown Vermillion Historic District, which was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2003; 2017 work removed non-original work to prepare for restoration.

Davison County
W.S. Hill House, 520 E. 6th Ave., Mitchell; constructed in 1910; individually listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2009; 2017 work replaced the roof and refinished door and window trim throughout the home.

Fall River County
Harlou Building, 407 N. River St., Hot Springs; constructed in 1893; contributing resource in the Hot Springs Historic District, which was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974; 2017 work included storefront renovations, window repair and completion of shop space on the main floor.

Lawrence County
33 Jackson St., Deadwood; constructed in 1938; contributing resource in the Deadwood Historic District, which was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1966; 2017 work included repair and repointing of stone foundation walls, garage walls, retaining walls, patios, porches and steps, as well as repairing interior plaster and repainting walls and doors.

3 Shine St., Deadwood; constructed in 1895; contributing resource in the Deadwood Historic District; 2017 work included repair and repointing of masonry, structural reinforcement, foundation repair and mold abatement.

360 Williams St., Deadwood; constructed around 1880; contributing resource in the Deadwood Historic District; 2017 work included new wood windows installed to match the original locations and configurations, and the wood siding and trim were painted.

First National Bank of the Black Hills, 201 W. Main St., Lead; constructed in 1922; contributing resource in the Lead Historic District, which was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1974; 2017 work reinstalled windows where openings had been bricked in, installation of an elevator, and entryways completed on all three floors.

Minnehaha County
650 E. 21st St., Sioux Falls; constructed in 1915; contributing resource in the McKennan Park Historic District, which was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1984; 2017 work lifted the home and replaced the foundation; installed new wood windows to match the original configuration; repaired or replaced in-kind wood siding, fascia, corbels and shakes; patched and repaired wood floors; and repaired plaster throughout the home.

Harms Motor Company, 104 W. 12th St., Sioux Falls; constructed in 1920; contributing resource in the Sioux Falls Downtown Historic District, which was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1994; 2017 work included structural reinforcement; repointed masonry; installed new windows to match original locations and configurations; and new plumbing, electrical and HVAC.

Sid’s/Texaco, 200 E. 12th St., Sioux Falls; constructed in 1929 (south portion, Texaco Super Service Station) and 1938 (north portion, Sid’s Crown Liquor), interior connected in 1974; individually listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2013; 2017 work renovated the building into a hardware store by replacing the roof, plumbing, electrical and HVAC along with repairing the stucco and brick.

Odd Fellows Home, 100 W. 10th St., Dell Rapids; constructed in 1910; individually listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2012; 2017 work completed five apartment units each renovated with a kitchen, one or two bathrooms, one or two bedrooms, new HVAC, refinished flooring, new plumbing, new electrical and new concrete entry steps at the main entrance.

Pennington County
1702 West Blvd., Rapid City; constructed in 1930; contributing resource in the West Boulevard Historic District, which was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1974; 2017 work renovated the original garage into a mud room and breezeway at the back of the home.

Fairmont Creamery, 201 Main St., Rapid City; constructed in 1929; individually listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2006; 2017 work updated the west breezeway area and replaced all cast iron pipes in the basement with PVC.

Hotel Alex Johnson, 523 6th St., Rapid City; constructed in 1927-1928; contributing resource in the Rapid City Commercial Historic District, which was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1974; 2017 work updated guest rooms and bathrooms on floors six through nine, renovated the kitchen, reopened the mezzanine to its original configuration, added new restrooms to the mezzanine and in Paddy O’Neill’s restaurant.

Yankton County
Yankton Post Office, 335 Walnut St., Yankton; constructed in 1904-1905; contributing resource in the Yankton Historic Commercial District, which was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1982; 2017 work replaced the roof.

About the South Dakota State Historical Society
The South Dakota State Historical Society is a division of the Department of Education. The State Historical Society, an Affiliate of the Smithsonian Institution, is headquartered at the South Dakota Cultural Heritage Center in Pierre. The center houses the society’s world-class museum, the archives, and the historic preservation, publishing and administrative/development offices. Call 605-773-3458 or visit history.sd.gov for more information. The society also has an archaeology office in Rapid City; call 605-394-1936 for more information.